A few months ago I confessed that my food kryptonite of all food kryptonites is CHIPS! CHIPS! CHIPS!
Well, guess what goes better with crunchy, salty CHIPS! CHIPS! CH- (ok you get it) than a creamy and dreamy dip? Nothing! Like chocolate and peanut butter, movies and popcorn, gum and a trashcan (I have an intense dislike of hearing people chew gum…) chips and dip were made for each other.
One of my all-time favorite dips is Spinach and Artichoke Dip, but I rarely have an excuse to make it without having a party or potluck to attend…until now. Muwahaha!
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Chicken is seasoned chicken breasts nestled into a baking dish then smothered in a thick and luscious concoction of low-fat cream cheese, thick Greek yogurt, meaty artichoke hearts, creamy spinach, a few fresh cheeses, and seasonings before being baked and served hot and gooey. This dish is IT!
While the topping is delicious enough to dip into on its own with chips or crackers, you can practice some restraint by enjoying it over moist and juicy chicken breasts, which make the recipe less of a dip, and more of a meal. This dish is a bit of a splurge but so, so worth it. Company-worthy, too!
Here’s the ingredients you’ll need. Let’s start from the top!
First cut 1lb chicken breasts in half then season both sides with salt & pepper and place into a nonstick-sprayed 1-1/4 – 2 quart baking dish. I used this baking dish > which I got as a wedding shower gift a million years ago. It’s one of my faves and also comes with a mini baking dish which is perfect for cooking for 1 or 2.
Set the chicken aside for a sec then melt 1 Tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute 1 large minced shallot for a few minutes with salt & pepper, until softened, then add 2 minced garlic cloves and saute for 30 more seconds. The smell of shallots + garlic + butter = BLISS.
Time to add the signature Spinach and Artichoke Dip ingredients, starting with 6oz 1/3 less-fat cream cheese and 6oz plain Greek yogurt to help lighten the dish of fat and calories. This is the same combo I use in my Skinny Spinach and Artichoke Dip and it tastes, YUMMY. Also, I love the taste and texture of 1/3 less fat cream cheese, but wouldn’t recommend fat-free. It’s really icky.
Stir until the cream cheese has melted, then remove the skillet from the heat and fold in 1-14oz can quartered artichoke hearts that’s been drained, 1-10oz package frozen spinach that’s been thawed and squeezed dry in a kitchen towel, and 1/4 cup each grated parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
Spoon the mixture over the seasoned chicken breasts then cover with a piece of nonstick sprayed foil and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
Remove the foil then sprinkle 1/4 cup more of each parmesan and mozzarella cheese on top, and then bake for 10 more minutes uncovered, or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
Let the casserole rest for 10 minutes, then dig in, and eat up!
free email bonus!
5 Day Clean Eating Guide
Fresh and craveable recipes + healthy eating tips!
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Chicken
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Chicken is an easy casserole recipe made with chicken breasts and a creamy yet low-fat spinach and artichoke dip recipe!
- 1lb chicken breasts
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt & pepper
- 6oz 1/3 less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 6oz plain Greek yogurt
- 10oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and excess water squeezed out
- 14oz can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut chicken breasts in half then season both sides with salt and pepper. Spray a 2qt baking dish with nonstick spray then place seasoned chicken breasts in the bottom.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat then add shallots. Season with salt and pepper then saute until softened, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic then saute for 30 more seconds. Add cream cheese and Greek yogurt then stir until smooth. Remove skillet from heat then fold in spinach, artichoke hearts, and half the parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
- Spoon mixture over chicken then smooth and cover with a piece of foil sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake for 20 minutes then remove foil and top with remaining cheeses. Bake for 10 more minutes or until cheese is golden brown and bubbly then let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://buzzpur.info.
I wanted a really fresh element to serve alongside the Spinach and Artichoke Dip Chicken, so I sliced up a crisp, red apple. Not only did it brighten the meal, but the slices also served as fabulous dippers. I loved the mixture of hot and cold, crispy and creamy. MMM. Totally licked my plate clean!