Hey you, I hope you had a wonderful weekend!
Ours was jam packed, but so much fun. On Friday my girlfriend and I said goodbye to our husbands and sweet cherubs for a ladies’ night out on the town. Long week + long overdue get together = we stayed out way past our bedtime, and it was pretty magical! Locals, we started at Della Viti, a self-serve wine bar in the East Village that I cannot wait to return to, before moving onto Roca for dinner. Their charred brussels sprouts are my favorite thing next to the scallops. Really can’t go wrong with anything there, though!
On Saturday we attended my darling niece’s 5th birthday party, and on Sunday we hung out at my parents house for awhile. It was more action than I’ve seen on a weekend in MONTHS and I loved every second of it. We’ve been cooped up in this house for way too long.
In other news, after the success of my 5 Ingredient BBQ, Avocado, Bacon and Cheddar Chicken a few weeks ago (I loved all the emails and social media shout outs from those of you who made it!) I wanted to create a similar dish that’s just as easy yet super healthy. Mushroom, Spinach and Sun Dried Tomato Cheesy Chicken Skillet is still checking the 30 minute or less, and gluten-free dinner boxes, yet it is packed to the gills with fresh, spring-inspired vegetables!
Garlicky mushrooms, baby spinach and sun dried tomatoes are sauteed then scooped onto chicken cutlets that are draped in ooey gooey melted cheese. The entire dish is cooked in one skillet and, like I said, will be ready in 30 minutes or less – and that’s including prep time!
So, if you’re wondering why I snuck cheese into an otherwise healthy dish, my answer is, cheese is not unhealthy. Cheese eaten in copious amounts is not so great for the waistline, but a sprinkle on top of each chicken cutlet makes for an extremely satisfying plate of food while still keeping fat and calories in check. I find if I’m eating a meal with a ton of vegetables I crave fat in the form of cheese, avocado, bacon, etc to satiate me, otherwise I’m on the hunt for a little somethin’ somethin’ a short time later. Can you relate?
I used gouda, but please feel free to substitute your favorite, melty white cheese. I think swiss would fabulous, as well as gruyere, fontina, or even a nice white cheddar. I mean it’s CHEESE, people, I can’t think of what wouldn’t work here!
This healthy skillet dish is perfect for spring and summer when there’s an abundance of fresh vegetables and I’m always on the lookout for something that’s not only quick-cooking, but light and healthy too. Shall we?
Start by melting 1 Tablespoon each butter and extra virgin olive oil in a large, 12″ skillet over heat that’s just a touch above medium. Add 8oz sliced mushrooms and 1 small chopped shallot then saute until the mushrooms release their liquid. Once the liquid has cooked off, season with salt and pepper then saute until the mushrooms are golden brown, 5 minutes. Next add 3 cloves minced garlic then saute until very fragrant, 1 minute.
Next add 3oz baby spinach plus 2 Tablespoons sun dried tomatoes packed in oil that have been roughly chopped, and saute until the spinach has just barely wilted, 1-2 minutes. Season the vegetables generously with salt and pepper then scrape onto a plate and cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
Last step is to mist the skillet with extra virgin olive oil or nonstick spray then add 4 chicken cutlets cut from 2 chicken breasts that have been seasoned on both sides with salt and pepper. Saute until golden brown on one side, 2-3 minutes, then flip and top each cutlet with 1oz freshly shredded gouda cheese. Place a lid on top then continue sauting until the cheese has melted and the chicken is cooked through, 2-3 more minutes.
By the way, I used gouda but you could really use whatever melty white cheese you love – fontina, swiss, gruyere (<< YUM!) even white cheddar.
Last step is to scoop the chicken onto plates then spoon the mushroom, spinach and sun dried tomato mixture on top. SO YUM!!! I served the cheesy chicken and vegetables with a side of roasted asparagus, which adds to the nutrition of this veggie-packed dish, but my parmesan-garlic quinoa or heck even a simple side of buttered bread would also be great. However you go about it, I hope you love this easy, delicious dish! Enjoy!
free email bonus!
5 Day Clean Eating Guide
Fresh and craveable recipes + healthy eating tips!
Mushroom, Spinach and Sun Dried Tomato Cheesy Chicken Skillet
Mushroom, Spinach and Sun Dried Tomato Cheesy Chicken Skillet is a healthy, gluten-free dinner recipe that takes just 30 minutes and 1 skillet to make!
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 8oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small shallot, minced
- salt and pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3oz baby spinach
- 2 Tablespoons sun dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained then roughly chopped
- 2 large chicken breasts, sliced in half widthwise to create cutlets
- 4oz freshly shredded gouda cheese (could use fontina, swiss or even white cheddar)
- Heat butter and extra virgin olive oil in a large, 12" skillet over heat that's just a touch above medium. Add mushrooms and shallots then saute until the mushrooms release their liquid. Once the liquid has evaporated, season with salt and pepper then continue sauting until the mushrooms are golden brown, 5 minutes. Add garlic then saute until very fragrant, 1 minute, then add spinach and sun dried tomatoes and saute until spinach has just wilted, 1-2 minutes. Season vegetables generously with salt and pepper then remove to a plate and loosely tent with foil to keep warm.
- Spray skillet with olive oil or nonstick spray then season chicken cutlets with salt and pepper on each side. Add to the skillet then saute until golden brown on one side, 2-3 minutes. Flip then add 1/4 of the shredded cheese to the tops of each chicken cutlet. Place a lid on the skillet then cook until the cheese has melted and chicken is cooked through, 2-3 minutes.
- Plate chicken then top with the vegetable mixture and serve.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://buzzpur.info.