Thought I’d hare a little kitchen/life hack with you today – Large Batch Homemade Taco Seasoning.
Since the majority of store-bought taco seasoning mixes include thickeners, which often contain gluten, I’ve been making my own single-serving homemade taco seasoning for the last several years. Recently, though, I realized I could save a ton of time if I didn’t have to take out 8 spice jars every time we have taco night and thus, Large Batch Homemade Taco Seasoning was born!
I mixed and multiplied until the flavors were just right, and now have a HIUGE jar of pre-made homemade taco seasoning mix that’s not only gluten free, but free of artificial colors, flavors, and anti-caking agents, too. Plus it’s preservative-free. You know what we call that? An UPGRADE!
Use Homemade Taco Seasoning in These Recipes
- Cheesy Chicken Burrito Skillet >
- Taco Chili >
- Mini Taco Meatloaf >
- Beef Taco Bowls >
- Homemade Crunchy Taco Hamburger Helper >
- Cheesy Taco Soup >
- Restaurant-Style Chicken Tortilla Soup >
This taco seasoning blend is medium in heat. If you prefer a spicier taco seasoning mix, use spicy chili powder and/or add up to 2 teaspoons red chili pepper flakes. If you want a mild mix, use mild chili powder (Tone’s has a mild chili powder which is what I use.)
How to Make This Recipe
All you have to do is add spice cupboard staples to a jar, then shake it up. I love using mason jars, but a Tupperware container would work just fine too.
Chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried oregano – then shake. That’s it!
How to Use It:
To use the seasoning mix, brown 1lb ground meat then add 2 – 2-1/2 Tablespoons seasoning with 1/3 cup broth or water, then simmer until the liquid has thickened and reduced, 1-2 minutes. Easy. As. That. Enjoy this little way to make life a lot easier!
- Homemade Seasoned Salt >
- Homemade Italian Sausage >
- Homemade Chewy Granola Bars >
- Homemade Ranch Dressing >
free email bonus!
5 Day Clean Eating Guide
Fresh and craveable recipes + healthy eating tips!
Large Batch Homemade Taco Seasoning
Large Batch Homemade Taco Seasoning is a cinch to prepare and ready when you are for taco night! Free from gluten, dairy, artificial flavors and colors, and preservatives.
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 3 Tablespoons cumin
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon finely ground pepper
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Mix all ingredients together then store in an airtight container or jar with a tight fitting lid.
- To use: brown 1lb ground meat then add 2 - 2-1/2 Tablespoons taco seasoning mix plus 1/3 cup broth or water and simmer until liquid has thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- This taco seasoning blend is medium in heat as written. Add up to 2 teaspoons red chili pepper flakes and/or use spicy chili powder for a spicier blend. For a mild blend, use mild chili powder.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://buzzpur.info.