First of all, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for all your congratulations and well wishes regarding our baby news! Honestly, I was a little nervous to share (no idea why) but the outpouring of sweet and excited comments, messages, and emails really touched me, and my entire family for that matter. We can’t wait for July to get here!
Yesterday we shared the gender with my family by having them each open a bag (Target was out of gender-neutral yellow and orange – for Easter, me thinks) with an article of clothing inside. Once opened, they visually assembled the outfit to see whether it was boy or girl themed. Squeals were heard for miles.
I think I’ll bake you guys some cupcakes with pink or blue frosting inside for the blog reveal….coming soon! ;) (This picture of Evie is not a hint, I am just obsessed with her.)
In other news, we’re all feeling Bill Murray’s Groundhog Day pain around here as it’s been snowing. AGAIN. I sprung for flowers at the store this weekend simply so I could remember what the world looks like with a little bit of color!
$5/bouquet at Target. I am not mad at that!
I also whipped up something bright and healthy to give my skin a bit of a glow if the sunshine can’t (er, won’t!) – a Green Juice Salad.
I’ve been a juicer (that sounds weird) on and off for, gosh, the past 8 years or so, but I’ve really kicked it up a notch since finding out I was pregnant. These days I aim to juice Ben and myself an 8oz cup of fresh juice 3-4 mornings a week. The combos are endless, but for me the greener – THE BETTER.
This salad is the whole-food version of one of my favorite green juice concoctions – spinach, cucumber, green apple, and lemon (not green, I know) with some additional green goodies thrown in like green grapes and avocado. The result is a salad so healthy that it almost feels spa-like. And who doesn’t like spas?!
At Spa de IGE we also add marinated and sauteed chicken on top of our salads for staying power. That way male spa attendees don’t claim they’re starving 4 minutes after consuming.
Anyways! Start with the Honey-Lemon Vinaigrette that also serves as the chicken marinade. In a jar or bowl combine 1 teaspoon lemon zest, 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons worth,) and 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
Next add 1 Tablespoon honey and lots of salt & pepper.
Microwave the mixture (without the lid!) for 20 seconds to melt the honey, then shake what yo mama gave ya! Alternatively, you could whisk the mixture in a bowl. Taste then adjust seasonings if necessary.
Now pour 1/2 the marinade into a plastic bag with 12oz chicken that has been seasoned with salt & pepper and let it marinate while you assemble the salads.
Organic baby spinach is always included in my juices, so the base of my salad started with a mixture of Dole’s Baby Spinach, and Hearts of Romaine, for crunch.
Mix together 4 cups each, then divide between 2 plates.
Next top each salad with half a chopped avocado. I cut mine in half then peel the skin away vs scooping it out with a spoon.
On top of that goes 1 Granny Smith apple, sliced or chopped…
and 1/2 cup sliced green grapes each. I LOVE GRAPES!
Finally slice 1/2 English cucumber then split between the plates.
Saute the marinated chicken in a hot skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink then chop and sprinkle on top. Drizzle with the remaining Honey-Lemon Vinaigrette, then serve!
free email bonus!
5 Day Clean Eating Guide
Fresh and craveable recipes + healthy eating tips!
Green Juice Salad
Green Juice Salad is a spa-like salad packed with my favorite green juice ingredients!
- 4 cups Dole Baby Spinach
- 4 cups Dole Hearts of Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber, sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, sliced
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 cup green grapes, halved
- 12oz chicken
- salt & pepper
- For the Honey-Lemon Vinaigrette/Marinade:
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- salt & pepper
- Combine ingredients for Honey-Lemon Vinaigrette/Marinade in a jar or bowl then microwave for 20 seconds. Shake or whisk to combine then taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Season chicken with salt & pepper then place into a plastic bag and add half the vinaigrette. Marinate at room temperature while you assemble salad.
- Mix spinach and romaine lettuce then divide between two plates. Top each plate with half the cucumbers, apple, avocado, and grapes. Heat a skillet over medium high heat then spray with non-stick spray. Cook chicken for 4-5 minutes a side, or until no longer pink in the center, then remove to a plate to cool slightly. Chop then divide between two plates. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette, season with more salt & pepper, and then serve.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://buzzpur.info.
Whether you have a juicer or not, this is a great salad for when you need a boost of vitamins, minerals, and good for you food. Hope you enjoy!