Hey, hey everyone, thank you for your comments, texts, and emails over our gender reveal – by oh BOY (see what I did there?) are we excited! Be sure to check out that summer bucket list printable too if you haven’t already. I get excited every time I pass by our refrigerator. ?
Last night we checked two things off our list – attending the Valley Junction Farmer’s Market, and listening to an outdoor concert (please tell me I’m not the only one who gets giddy about crossing things off lists?!) The evening was HOT, hot, hot, but we had a friend who was selling some art at the market, and there was a new-to-us band playing, so we braved the heat and had a ton of fun. I couldn’t help but spy nearly everything you’d need to make the recipe for Gnocchi and Chicken Sausage Vegetable Skillet which I’m sharing today, so if you’re heading to a Farmer’s Market this weekend be sure to stock up because this is a simple, light, and healthy gluten-free supper that you do not want to miss.
I’m calling it the summer version of my Roasted Spring Vegetable with Marinated Mozzarella Pasta, so if you loved that recipe highlighting spring vegetables, you’ll definitely want to try this dish featuring zucchini, summer squash, cherry tomatoes, and basil…and gnocchi and chicken sausage because gnocchi and chicken sausage. YUM!
I feel like I’ve told you this story before but I’ll say it again – when I was first learning how to cook at the age of 21 after going out on my own after college (nuking nachos in my dorm room does not count!) one of my favorite dishes to make was fresh vegetable pasta tosses. I was living in Uptown Minneapolis at the time and would hit up the Nicollet Mall farmer’s market after work one night a week where I’d stock up on whatever vegetables were in season at the time.
Then I’d come back to my apartment, chop everything up – lose a quarter of it to the sink and another quarter to the floor because my apartment was thisbig – toss everything into a skillet with an insane amount of extra virgin olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper, and pair the vegetables with cooked pasta. It felt like a HUGE accomplishment any and every time I made it, which was at least once a week in the summertime, because when you cook something for yourself and it’s healthy, you feel like you can take on the world.
Or at least a Wondrous Punch at the Red Dragon. BaHaaaaa. Oh (slightly fuzzy) memories.
Anyway, I like to recreate my vegetable pasta skillets of yesteryear here on IGE every summer (a popular previous version was my Farmer’s Market Skillet,) and I’m dying for you to try my latest which combines seasoned sauteed summer vegetables with chewy gluten-free gnocchi and sizzling chicken sausage. Oh yes, we’re taking the concept of “meat and potatoes” to a whole other level with this skillet dinner that comes together in about 10 minutes after chopping some garden-fresh vegetables and herbs.
Not only is this recipe IGE-approved, but both Ben and Lincoln gave it their stamps too – can you say hallelujah? Any time I can make a meal that all three of us loves is definitely a time to celebrate!
Start by sauting 12oz smoked chicken sausage cut into 1/4″ (or so – doesn’t need to be precise!) slices and 1/2 chopped sweet onion in 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat until the sausage begins to brown, 3-4 minutes. This recipe makes a TON of food (but is easily halved,) so a 12″ skillet or bigger works best.
I used Aidells chicken sausage because of the great ingredient list. We actually love lots of Aidells products, including their meatballs and deli meats, which are located in my grocery store’s “health food” refrigerated section. Really any kind of pre-cooked chicken sausage would work here though, and if you can’t find it at your store for whatever reason, kielbasa would be so delicious too.
Next add another Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil to the skillet, followed by 1 small zucchini and 1 small summer squash that have been chopped, plus the kernels from 1 ear sweet corn (about 3/4 cup.) Season with salt (homemade seasoned salt if you have it – YUM!) and pepper then saute until the zucchini and summer squash are just barely crisp-tender. They’ll keep cooking so make sure you don’t take them too far at this point.
Next add 2 cloves minced garlic and a pinch of red chili pepper flakes then saute until the garlic is fragrant. Toss in 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half and 1/2 cup loosely packed basil that’s been chopped then saute until the tomatoes are warmed through.
About the time you add the garlic and red chili pepper flakes into the skillet, pour 1lb gluten-free gnocchi into a pot of salted boiling water next door (timing directions are in the recipe card below.) Simmer until they float to the top, usually 2-3 minutes, then scoop directly into the skillet with the sausage and vegetables. I think I got this package at Whole Foods, by the way!
Last step is to drizzle in 1/4 cup chicken broth then simmer until it reduces and creates a very thin sauce, just a minute or so.
Taste and add salt and pepper if you need it, then scoop onto plates and devour! Hope you enjoy this fast and filling, delicious summer dish!
free email bonus!
5 Day Clean Eating Guide
Fresh and craveable recipes + healthy eating tips!
Gnocchi and Chicken Sausage Vegetable Skillet
Gnocchi and Chicken Sausage Vegetable Skillet is a quick and healthy, complete gluten-free meal in one. Ready in 30 minutes!
- 1lb package gluten-free gnocchi
- 2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 12oz package smoked chicken sausage, cut into 1/4” slices (I used Aidell’s)
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 small summer squash, chopped
- 1 ear sweet corn, kernels sliced from cob (about 3/4 cup)
- Salt (homemade seasoned salt if you have it!) and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch red chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil then turn heat down and keep at a simmer with a lid on top.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in a very large (12"+) skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken sausage and onions then saute until sausages begin to brown, 2-3 minutes. Add remaining Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil to the skillet then add zucchini, summer squash, and sweet corn kernels, season with salt (or homemade seasoned salt) and pepper, and then saute until zucchini and squash are just barely crisp tender, 3-4 minutes (don't overcook.)
- Turn heat under pot of water up to high then, once boiling, add gnocchi and cook according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, add garlic and red chili pepper flakes to skillet with vegetables then saute until garlic is fragrant, 30 seconds. Add cherry tomatoes and basil then toss to combine. Scoop cooked gnocchi into skillet then toss to combine. Add chicken broth then simmer for 1 minute or until broth is reduced and a thin sauce has formed. Taste then add more salt and pepper if necessary, and then serve.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://buzzpur.info.