We are officially ready for Halloween! Pumpkins have been carved (only one meltdown occurred during this process – 👻!) our costumes are at the ready, and I’ve watched Hocus Pocus twice…alone…because nobody in my family will watch it with me. Moms-only watch party with Mulled Apple Cider (and bourbon) next year, anyone?
Last stop: trick-or-treating! Before my little goblins tear it up though, they’ll be filling their bellies with Cheesy Chicken and Rice Green Bean Casserole.
This easy, cozy recipe is a Frankenstein mash up of two of my favorite casseroles – Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole, and Green Bean Casserole – and it is PERFECTION in a baking dish. Ben declared it the best thing I’ve ever made!
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Green Bean Casserole
An easy cheese sauce envelopes rice, chicken, mushrooms, and a can of green beans that are folded together then baked until bubbly. The top is sprinkled with gluten free french fried onions then the whole thing is popped back into the oven until golden brown and crispy.
YES, french fried onions – not just for Thanksgiving! The flavor and crunch they add to casseroles is so fabulous that I can’t imagine not adding them to the top of any and all casseroles from here on out. They are such a game changer.
- This casserole calls for white rice, though you can use brown rice if you’d like. I tested with wild rice and didn’t love the texture of the final dish.
- Dice the chicken and slice the mushrooms up to a few days ahead of time to save on prep time, and/or use chopped rotisserie chicken for an even quicker option.
- This recipe feeds an army, but leftovers heat up beautifully.
- I use a gluten free flour blend to thicken the cheese sauce, though if you don’t need to eat gluten free you can use all-purpose flour. Check out the recipe card below for my favorite gluten free flour blends for cooking and baking.
- I love using sharp cheddar cheese for casseroles, as you can really taste it through the other ingredients, but you can use whatever cheese you’ve got on hand.
Ok! Who’s ready to fill their bellies and warm their souls with this crazy-cozy-casserole mash up?!
Step 1: Cook the Rice
First cook long grain white rice in chicken broth until tender. Fluff, then set aside. I always use Lundberg Farms White Jasmine Rice.
Step 2: Saute the Mushrooms
Meanwhile, add sliced mushrooms and shallots to a very large skillet over medium-high heat then, once the mushrooms release their liquid, season with homemade seasoned salt and pepper. Continue to saute until the mushrooms are golden brown then scoop them into a bowl and set aside.
Step 3: Saute the Chicken
Next, saute diced chicken breasts, seasoning with more seasoned salt and pepper, until cooked through. Scoop the chicken into the same bowl as the mushrooms then turn the heat down to medium.
Step 4: Make the Sauce
Melt butter in the skillet then whisk in gluten free flour and cook for 2 minutes.
Next, slowly stream in chicken broth and milk while whisking to create a smooth sauce. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder then cook, stirring often, until thickened and bubbly, 3-4 minutes.
Lastly, stir in shredded sharp cheddar cheese until smooth and fully melted.
Step 5: Combine and Bake
Add the cooked rice, chicken, and mushrooms, plus a can of green beans – cut or french-style – into the skillet then stir to combine.
Scoop the mixture into a large casserole dish, or two smaller ones, then bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
Last step is to add the piece de resistance – Gluten Free French Fried Onions. I cannot TELL you what a delicious flavor and crunch these add to the casserole. Sprinkle on top then return the dish to the oven until the onions are golden brown and crispy – 7-9 minutes.
This is the brand of gluten free french fried onions I use. I actually started using them instead of making homemade crispy shallots in my Green Bean Casserole because they’re so tasty and convenient!
Let the casserole sit to thicken and cool for 10-15 minutes then scoop onto plates and dig in. I know you will love this EPIC, comfort food casserole mash up. Enjoy, enjoy!
More Craveable Casserole Recipes
- Gluten Free Green Bean Casserole
- Skinny Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Cheesy Vegetable, Turkey Sausage and Rice Casserole
- Salsa Verde Chicken and Rice Casserole
free email bonus!
5 Day Clean Eating Guide
Fresh and craveable recipes + healthy eating tips!
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Green Bean Casserole
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Green Bean Casserole combines two of your favorite casseroles in one! This cozy recipe is the epitome of comfort food.
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 8oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 shallot, chopped
- homemade seasoned salt and pepper (see notes)
- 2 chicken breasts (14oz), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups (8oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 15oz can green beans, cut or french-style
- 6oz can gluten free french fried onions (I use Full Circle brand)
- For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup gluten-free flour blend (see notes)
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add rice and chicken broth to a small saucepan over high heat. Bring to a bubble then turn heat down to low and simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until rice is tender. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in a very large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and shallots then saute until golden brown and tender, seasoning with homemade seasoned salt and pepper after the mushrooms have released their liquid. Scoop mushrooms into a bowl then set aside.
- Heat remaining Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in skillet then add chicken, season with homemade seasoned salt and pepper, then saute until cooked through. Scoop into bowl with mushrooms.
- For the sauce: Turn heat down to medium then melt butter in skillet. Sprinkle in flour then whisk and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly pour in chicken broth while whisking constantly to create a smooth sauce. Add milk then whisk to combine. Add salt, garlic powder, and pepper then switch to a spatula and cook, stirring often, until sauce is thickened and bubbly, 3-4 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat then add shredded cheese and stir until smooth. Add cooked rice, cooked mushrooms and chicken, and green beans then fold to combine - again, make sure you are using a LARGE skillet! Scoop mixture into a 9x13” casserole dish, or two smaller casserole dishes, then bake for 15 minutes or until bubbly in the corners. Top with gluten free french friend onions then bake for an additional 7-9 minutes or until onions are golden brown. Let casserole sit and cool for 10 minutes then scoop and serve.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://buzzpur.info.