It feels like everyone I know has been to Austin, TX sometime in the past 6 months and the taco shots they’ve been sharing on Instagram are killing me!
Chicken tacos, pork tacos, jack fruit tacos, and – oh yes – breakfast tacos. GIMME! I love, love, love tacos but the breakfast ones in particular aren’t exactly wild mornings + 2 young children-friendly. Eventually I’ll get to a place where I can sit down and enjoy a nice taco or two at 8am (right? RIGHT?!) but for now I’m layering all classic breakfast taco ingredients in a casserole dish, dousing them with homemade cheese sauce, and calling it a day. Or rather, Breakfast Taco Casserole.
This phenomenal twist on traditional breakfast casserole will knock your socks off!
This dish is TOPS. Check it out – cooked breakfast sausage, sauteed vegetables, and scrambled eggs are layered in a casserole dish with corn tortilla strips then drizzled with homemade cheese sauce and baked until bubbly. SO DELICIOUS!
Not only is this Taco Breakfast Casserole perfect for a work potluck, holiday, etc, but it reheats wonderfully so you can assemble and bake on Sunday then reheat and eat for easy breakfasts all week long. The cheese sauce gets nice and saucy again after being warmed in the microwave and oh my gosh you just HAVE to try this.
I was originally going to call this “Breakfast BURRITO Casserole” but burritos use flour tortillas and I kept this gluten free by using corn tortillas. I love how soft and creamy they get from the cheese sauce.
Mmm – let’s get to it!
Start by browning 1lb gluten-free breakfast sausage in a large, 12″ skillet over medium-high heat, then scoop into a bowl and set aside.
Next add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil to the skillet then add 2 chopped green peppers and 1/2 chopped yellow onion. Season with salt and pepper then saute until tender, 8-10 minutes, turning the heat down slightly if the vegetables begin to burn. Scoop into a bowl then set aside.
Turn the heat down to medium then add 8 large eggs that have been whisked with 1/4 cup milk (any kind – I used unsweetened almond milk,) salt, and pepper. Scramble just until they’re set then, you guessed it, scoop into a bowl or plate and set aside!
Time for the cheese sauce – so easy and tasty!
Melt 3 Tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat then sprinkle in 3 Tablespoons gluten-free flour and whisk for 1 minute. Slowly stream in 2 cups milk (any kind – again, I used unsweetened almond milk,) while whisking to create a smooth sauce then turn the heat up slightly to bring the sauce to a bubble. Turn the heat back down to medium then stir until the sauce has slightly thickened, a couple minutes. Finally, remove the pan from the heat then add 8oz freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese and stir until smooth. Season with salt to taste. Cheese sauce = done!
Last step is to slice 14, 6″ gluten-free yellow corn tortillas into 1″ (ish) strips. I used these Mission Yellow Corn Tortillas.
Casserole assembly time! Spray a 9×13″ baking dish with nonstick spray then spread 3/4 cup cheese sauce in the bottom. Next add 1/2 the tortilla strips, 1/2 the sausage, 1/2 the vegetables, 1/2 the eggs, and 1/2 the remaining cheese sauce. Repeat the layers one more time then cover with nonstick sprayed foil and bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees, or until the cheese sauce is bubbling.
Let the casserole sit for 15 minutes before slicing and serving. I’m telling you – total breakfast epicness, right here my friend! Keep the leftover casserole in the fridge then slice, reheat, and eat for breakfasts all week long. Enjoy!
free email bonus!
5 Day Clean Eating Guide
Fresh and craveable recipes + healthy eating tips!
Breakfast Taco Casserole
Breakfast Taco Casserole is layers of breakfast taco ingredients baked in an easy-to-eat, satisfying casserole. This gluten-free breakfast recipe reheats wonderfully, too!
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk, any kind
- salt and pepper
- 1lb gluten-free breakfast sausage
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 14, 6" gluten-free corn tortillas, cut into 1” strips
- For the cheese sauce (makes 2-3/4 cups sauce):
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 2 cups milk, any kind, at room temperature
- 8oz freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees then spray a 9x13” baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside. Add eggs, milk, salt, and pepper to a large bowl then whisk to combine and set aside.
- Add breakfast sausage to a large, 12” skillet over medium-high heat then brown. Remove to a plate then set aside. Add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil to the skillet then add peppers and onions, season with salt and pepper, and then saute until the peppers are tender, 8-10 minutes, turning heat down slightly if vegetables begin to burn. Remove to a plate then set aside. Turn heat down to medium them add whisked eggs to the skillet and scramble until set (do not overcook.) Remove to a plate then set aside.
- For the cheese sauce: Add butter to a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle in flour then whisk for 1 minute. Slowly add milk while whisking constantly until smooth. Turn heat up slightly to bring sauce to a simmer while stirring frequently, then turn heat back down to medium and cook, stirring constantly until thickened, 2-3 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat then add shredded cheese and stir until smooth. Add salt to taste.
- Add 3/4 cup cheese sauce to the bottom of the baking dish then spread into an even layer. Add half the tortilla strips, half the cooked sausage, half the vegetables, half the scrambled eggs, and half the remaining cheese sauce. Repeat layers. Cover the baking dish with nonstick sprayed foil then bake for 30 minutes, or until cheese sauce is hot and bubbly. Let sit for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://buzzpur.info.